Each Photoshop tutorial was centered around learning a specific skill or tool. The picture to the right, of the man and his daughter, originally had a large object behind the man's head. Using the cloning tool, I filled in the sky behind him, creating a much smoother image.
A few of the images were simple, only needed something removed. The picture of a girl in front of a white backdrop could have been cropped, but the content-aware fill tool prevented an awkward imbalance between the spaces on the sides of the photo. The original is shown on the left, with the retouched version on the right.
The content-aware fill tool is amazing in the fact that as long as the designer selects the area fairly accurately, Photoshop will take care of the rest. It doesn't always work well, but when it does, it creates a flawlessly retouched result.
The spot healing tool was used in fixing the picture of the boy, shown below. The dirt on his face in the original was easily removed and smoothed.


The last project in the Photoshop tutorial series was, in my opinion, the most challenging. We were given three images of a girl and were to create a portrait collage with them. This utilized all of the tools we had learned about, and took the most time.
The last skill that I learned was to use layer masks to accomplish many things. Masks can color-correct, hide or show parts of the original images, and even add or remove texture. This would have to be my favorite skill, just because of the versatility of it. Layer masks have so many different functions, and although I haven't had the chance to use them all, I'll definitely turn to them in the future.
As a beginner with only a basic understanding of Photoshop, I think that these projects helped me get a better grasp on how to use the program. Instead of clicking around, I can use keyboard shortcuts for many of the tools. I really like the way some of them turned out.
If I could do them all again, I would have given myself more time to work on the photo collage instead of focusing on the smaller details in the other ones.




No comments:
Post a Comment