About Me


Blaise Keasler is a junior and a part of the E-Communications program at Olathe Northwest High School. She enjoys many aspects of design, and plans to major in graphic design in college. She is extroverted, outgoing, and loves to interact with people, as she demonstrates by being actively involved in theatre.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Music Video Review

Before creating a music video of our own, we were assigned to find professionally made music videos to gather inspiration. Fortunately for me, I had already put together a playlist of music videos that I liked, so all I had to do was look at that. The video I chose was for a song called Video Games by Lana Del Rey. Lyrically, it is a love song, but then again, what song isn't? The overall cinematography is made up of mainly old, low-resolution shots, which suggest a vintage feeling. It also has frequent shots of Lana Del Rey herself, simply standing against a white wall. They are all similar; just a mid-shot of her singing. The last important characteristic of this video is the insertion of various shots such as a panorama of palm trees, presumably California, which is a dominant theme in Del Rey's music.

One of the shots I particularly enjoyed was one of Del Rey singing, but it was interrupted by a stop-motion close up of a rose blooming. Whether this is due to my personal affinity for roses or just an appreciation of cinematography, I don't know; most likely a bit of both. I also liked the montages of footage that appeared to be older; my partner and I ended up mirroring this in our own video without even meaning to.

The director used the rule of thirds very well; it sounds simple, but in the mid-shots of the artist, she was usually placed off-center, which created visual interest. Something more atypical of professionals, however, was the shakiness of some of the shots. This was executed very well, instead of coming across as amateur and distracting. It's difficult to find a place that could use improvement, and this is more of an opinion, but a more defined color palette could unify the video. Regardless, this is a video that I enjoy, created for a song that I love. I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment